Name:
Location: Oxford, Mississippi, United States

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly!"

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Wake me up.

So, last night after a long day of running around, chasing air, struggling to find a way to better my education and become a more successfull South African, I sat down with two guys from Jerusalem and had coffee and played cards. After a few rounds of cards and conversation where most of the time my response was "repeat that again" and try to fill in their sentences with words that makes more sence to me, I asked who the people on the photo's on the wall was.

Rayan took the pictures off the wall and came and show them to me. It is pictures of his friends, his 17 year old brother and pictures of him in a grave yard. Obvious response was why do you have pictures of you in a grave yard and who died? Not knowing that the response I would get would blow me away and bring me back to what I believe in.

The response was that in 2003 his brother (just minding his own business and walking to school) got shot by the Isreali soldiers. I felt sad at this point, but not yet shocked. After telling me how his brother died, he told me that five days later, Samer (the other guy that was playing with us) 's brother got shot by the isreali soldiers. He was only 11. In one month, five people of their family died in this manner.

The sad thing is that sometimes it takes something so drastic to hear from the mouths of people with so much pain in their eyes, only to realise that it is time to stop. Time to think. Time to be. Yesturday in my blog I wrote that hopefully I will have time next week to take off for myself and just be. Last night I decided that that day will be tomorrow.

I know that this might sound like a soppy chain-mail article, but it is from my heart that I hope that whoever read this will take the time, even for a few minutes to think about what they have in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home